If you are new to property ownership, building maintenance is part and parcel of owning your own home, and this means getting organised. There are numerous domestic services that you might need to call on to keep your home running smoothly, and if you pre-source these and store their emergency numbers in your smartphone, you are always well-prepared.
Here are a few essential services you should source now, before you ever need them.
- The Plumber – Better make sure they have a 24/7 emergency service because you never know when a water pipe might burst, and some plumbers don’t charge for a call-out, only the work they do. Of course, in the event of a water leak, shit down the mains supply, and if you don’t know how to do that, investigate the location of the mains water tap so you won’t waste time in an emergency situation.
- The Electrician – This is something to leave to the professionals, and it is a good idea to have an annual inspection, when the electrician can check everything. The Internet makes it easy to find an electrician servicing the Central Coast, Hunter Valley and Newcastle areas, and with his 24-hour number in your phone, you’re ready for anything.
- Arborist – The trees on your property do need regular care and attention, and in the event of a storm, a tree might be in a dangerous condition, and the arborist can safely deal with such a situation. If you notice any trees that seem less than healthy, ask the expert to pop round and take a look and he can inspect all your trees.
- TV Antennae – These often get shifted by gale force winds and if your TV picture is grainy, this could be due to the dish being slightly out of alignment, and the cable TV engineer can quickly sort that out. He might also be able to handle telecommunication issues, should you ever have a problem with the phone or Internet.
- Roofing Contractor – Hopefully, you will never need his services in an emergency situation, but it is best to have his number stored, and call him once a year to carry out a roof inspection, which is a preventative form of maintenance.
Running a family home is all about organisation, and with the essential tradesmen’s numbers stored away safely, you are never more than a few minutes from talking to an expert.