When people hear the word asbestos, they are scared and rightly so. Since the 1980s, we have been told about the dangers of using this material and we have learned that it is not something that you should take lightly if you find it in your property. Many homes before the 1980s were built with asbestos being used throughout the whole building process including roof tiles, pipe lagging and even in the concrete itself. At that time, it was thought to be an excellent product and it provided much-needed strength and durability to everything that it was added to. Only later was it found out, that it was incredibly detrimental to your health and even the smallest bit of asbestos inhaled into your lungs could cause you a lifetime of misery.
If you suspect that there is any asbestos in your home or in your business property, then the first thing that you need to do is to call out asbestos removal contractors in Perth. They will tell you first hand if you do have asbestos within your property by taking a small sample and having it tested. If the result comes back positive, then you will need to move out of your property immediately while they contain the situation until it is resolved. If you’re unsure about where you can find asbestos in your home or business, then the following should help to educate you a little.
– It’s in the floor tiles – The reason asbestos was used in floor tiles is because it made them incredibly strong and durable. The floor of any property needs to be able to take lots of abuse and footfall every single day and tiles with asbestos added were incredibly useful at that time. In the solid form, asbestos is fairly safe, but it’s when you start breaking it up into pieces or small pieces start to break away due to wear and tear that it becomes a major problem.
– It’s in the soffits and guttering – Once again it was used because these items are on the outside and they have to deal with the elements including rain, snow and wind. If you were to look at all properties, you would see that they probably still have the original fittings and they look as good as the day that they will first put in. The unfortunate thing is that they probably contain asbestos and so they can be really dangerous for people working on them or removing them.
These are only two places in which you can find asbestos and there are many more. It was used extensively in the building process before the 1980s and so if your property is over 50 years old, then there is a high likelihood that you have asbestos.